Hi All-  Happy fourth of July!  Could it get any hotter?  I feel like I am melting!

I've been getting texts from H that simply say,  "Tick, tick, tick..."  July 13 is fast approaching and I still have so much to accomplish!  If you have been following the blog you know I am in the midst of replacing a shed off the back of my garage.  I am so close to starting the roof but it is so blasted hot with no end in sight.  My wife Brenda and I are looking to leave for a 4 day camping trip in northen Maine this upcoming Monday.  I am feeling the pressure! I always tend to bite off more than I can chew.



Enough whining already.  I finally finished dehydrating all of my meals.  I ended up with 38 in all.  If I need more, I'll be purchasing food during town respites.  This past Thursday I got most of my equipment to H who is back east to visit family.  He will be transporting my things to Colorado.  Thank you H!

So you might be asking what kind of equipment do you take on an extended trek like this?  Well, just what you might expect... a backpack, tent, sleeping bag, clothing, water bottles, rain gear, food etc.  The key is that the equipment is ultralight.  For example, my old backpack was slightly over six pounds.  My newest backpack is under 2.5 pounds.  My sleeping bag weighs in around one pound.

.









My two-man tent (Pure luxury on the trail.) is under three pounds.  Subtracting food and water, the base weight of all my packed items is sixteen pounds.  Food and water will bring the pack weight between 26 to 30 pounds depending on the number of days we are hiking and the availabiltiy of water on the trail.  Compare this to ten years ago when my pack could easily be over 40 pounds.

Water filtration is critical in the back country.  I do know a few folks who drink water directly from it's source but that is not for me.  Its not worth risking "beaver fever."  Filters like the sawyer mini-water filter below weigh virtually nothing and can filter hundreds of gallons of water before needing to be replaced.  They are a good option for individual hikers.

Image result for image of a sawyer mini water filter

Ease of cooking or rehydrating food and boiling water for tea/coffee can make or break a trip.  Today's ultra-light burners are literally the size of your thumb.  Aattach it to a small propane canister and you are in business!  To save fuel when rehydrating and heating up food many backpackers use a heat cozy.  After bringing your dehydrated food to a boil simply put the pot in the insulated cozy and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.  Outcomes a delish meal!

Snow Peak LiteMax Stove One Color, One Size

Image result for images of backpacking pot cozy

Image result for images of backpacking dehydrated food rehydrating and ready to eat

I'm not sure if I'll have time for another blog post until my flight on Friday, July 13.  Until then, enjoy all life has to offer, hike often and take care of those who are in need.  Please consider supporting my effort to take care of kids who struggle with food insecurity.  Donate today to: http://www.end68hoursofhunger.org/find-your-community/new-hampshire/exeter/

Best,

Night Screamer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking to End 68 Hours of Hunger