Hi All-  Well right now I am suppose to be off on a motorcycle ride with a group of friends but instead I am sitting at my computer.  Why, you might ask, would I pass on such a fun adventure? Well, mainly because I am feeling overwhelmed preparing for this journey.  It didn't help that the forecast is for rain all weekend and the ride entailed 200 miles of dirt road.  Last thing I need to be worrying about is taking a highside fall on my bike 3 weeks before I leave for Colorado.  My son-in-law Frank is on the ride, so I will live vicariousy through his stories. 

The biggest challenge in preparing for my trek is getting the food prepared and dehydrated.  My wife Brenda made a delicious pot of veggie chili that I have been dehydrating all weekend.  It will amount to 6 meals.  I have 23 meals dehydrated and vacuum packed as of today.  17 to go!  H has been back east visiting family and has agreed to haul my gear and supplies back to Colorado so I don't have to ship them.  Friends are awesome!  My goal is to have all of my things to him by this upcomomg Friday, June 29.  I have my work cut out for me! 

On top of all my trip prep, and in my typical, bite off more than I can chew mode, I am in the process of rebuidling the shed on the back of my garage.  My goal is to have the roof on and the shed rough enclosed before I leave for Colorado.  I am either insane or insanely dumb.  Probably a little of both...  Here are a few picks of that project to date:












Speaking of H, I want to introduce you to his wonderful wife and my good friend, Sue. 



Sue is a lifelong educator whose boundless positve energy for supporting Mexican ELL students and their families is inspirational! Sue retired from teaching in 2017 and is loving spending time traveling and pursuing her passions of spinning, weaving, knitting and performing in drum circles.  She is an amazing person!  Sue also plays a key role in our trek!  For lack of a better term, she is our sag wagon driver.  Sue will be meeting us at trailheads throughout the hike to help us restock and refresh.  I believe over the projected 40 +/-  days of hiking, she will meet us 7 times.  Reaman's wife Sharon will be helping with some of the resupplies, and even my wife Brenda is flying out to ride with Sue for a resupply.  Well, actually she is heading out to hang out with Sue and there happens to be a resupply during that timeframe.  They will all be a sight for sore eyes as we come off the trail. Thank you ladies for all of your love and support!

There is one other important player in our trip and that is Vango the Harbour's camper van.  Vango offers shelter, refrigeration (Cold beer) and wheels to get into town rather than having to hitchhike.  Hmmm...I never did tell my Mom and Dad about that time I hitchhiked from Keene, NH to NYC...  Probably a good idea...



Enjoy and consider supporting my challenge of Hiking to End 68 Hours of Hunger.  Your donation won't send a kid to Colorado or on a life changing backpacking trip. But it will make sure they won't struggle with food insecurity.  Find room in your big heart for these kids.  Donate today to:
http://www.end68hoursofhunger.org/find-your-community/new-hampshire/exeter/

My best to you and yours,

Night Screamer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking to End 68 Hours of Hunger