Hiking to End 68 Hours of Hunger

Hiking to End 68 Hours of Hunger
Hi, My name is Jim Eaves and I live in Deerfield, NH. I am a retired school principal and part-time adjunct faculty member in the Education Dept. at UNH-Manchester. One of my great joys since retiring has been the ability to hike throughout this beautiful state.  However, this summer, I have set my sights on a larger goal. I will be hiking the Colorado Trail, a 485 mile trek from Denver to Durango. The hike will take approximately six weeks and is the longest continuous trek I have attempted. I am hiking to challenge my physical capabilities, but I am also hiking to implore you to support a great cause- 68 Hours of Hunger. “68 Hours of Hunger is a private, not-for-profit, effort to confront the approximately 68 hours of hunger that some school children experience between the free lunch they receive in school Friday and the free breakfast they receive in school Monday.”  As a past school administrator, I am far too familiar with the damaging impact food insecurity plays on student learning and development. But don’t take my word for it. The USDA states that 1 in 5 children in America struggles with food insecurity at some point during the year. The American Youth Policy Forum points to multiple longitudinal studies that show students from food insecure households lag behind in their cognitive, academic, emotional and social development. These students have a greater likelihood for depression, anxiety and behavioral problems. We need to bring about change in Washington DC when you consider 20% of America’s children are food insecure, but there are children in need today. Thank goodness for organizations like 68 Hours of Hunger and their amazing volunteers!

Please consider supporting my, Hiking for 68 Hours of Hunger initiative by making a donation today.  I am asking your donations be made to the Exeter- End 68 Hours of Hunger program. You can make your donation at their website:  http://www.end68hoursofhunger.org/find-your-community/new-hampshire/exeter/ .  Exeter- End 68 Hours of Hunger serves the communities of Exeter, Newfields, Stratham, East Kingston, Brentwood, and Kensington.  Why am I targeting Exeter? I was principal of the East Kingston Elementary from 2003- 2016. You can follow my adventure right here on my blog: Hiking to End 68 Hours of Hunger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog